Police rescue 33 as IGP deploys Joint-Crack Team to Jos

0
593

Twenty individuals were arrested and 30 others were rescued by the Nigeria Police Force on Sunday in connection with the attacks in Plateau state.

Suspected Irigwe militants allegedly attacked and killed some Muslims returning to Akure, Ondo state, from Bauchi, where they had gone to attend an Islamic program, on Saturday at Rukuba Road in Jos North local government area of the state.

In a statement issued Sunday in Abuja, Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO) CP Frank Mba asked for calm and assured that criminals would be apprehended and dealt with appropriately.

“The Inspector General of Police, IGP Usman Baba, has directed the urgent deployment of a Police Intervention Team to Plateau State to conduct on-the-spot assessments and guarantee enhanced, coordinated response to protect the community and boost public confidence in the impacted area(s).”

 

“The deployment comes after an unfortunate attack on innocent civilians in Rukuba Community in Plateau State’s Jos North Local Government Area on Saturday, August 14, 2021.

“The Police Intervention Team is directed by DIG Sanusi N. Lemu, the North-Central geopolitical zone’s coordinating DIG and Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Finance and Administration.

“Police Tactical Units, the Police Mobile Force (PMF), the Counter Terrorism Unit (CTU), and Police Special Forces, among others, have been deployed to safeguard communities, prevent additional assaults, and bring the culprits to justice.

Read also: Win the Anambra governorship, the PDP needs Uba and Ukachukwu – Ekwunife

“The Force Criminal Investigations Department (FCID) and the Force Intelligence Bureau have also deployed investigators and clandestine agents (FIB).

“In the ongoing investigations and rescue efforts, the operatives are expected to give extra investigative, intelligence, and forensic support to the Plateau State Police Command.”

The IGP was also reported by the Police spokesman as condemning the attacks, even as the statement appealed for calm and assured victims and families that the Police were working with the military, other security agencies, and the state government to bring culprits to justice.

According to Mba, the Police Commissioner urged inhabitants in the affected areas to assist security personnel assigned to the hotspot by providing important information that would lead to the arrest of other criminals and prevent additional attacks.

Survivors.

Meanwhile, Malam Sabo Umar, secretary of the state chapter of Fityanul Islam of Nigeria, acknowledged the rescue effort.

Umar, who is currently the caretaker of the rescued victims at a state government-provided accommodation location in Jos, told one of our reporters on Sunday that the rescued persons had been brought to him.

“So far, 34 people have been rescued by a combination of police and military troops and officers,” he stated. As you can see from where I am staying in the state government’s accommodations, 33 people have been rescued so far, and many more are still missing.

“One of the passengers called to say he arrived in Abuja, and one of the drivers called to say he escaped,” he said, adding that 19 others were still being treated at the hospital.

Lalong establishes a curfew.

In a similar event, Governor Simon Lalong has declared a 24-hour curfew in Jos North, while the 6pm to 6am curfew in Jos South and Bassa local government areas remains in effect.

“Following the regrettable breach of peace on 14th August 2021 at Rukuba road in Jos North LGA, in which a convoy of commuters was ambushed, resulting in the deaths of innocent people, I have received briefings on the situation from the relevant heads of security agencies.

“According to the sources, 23 of those attacked died, while another 23 were injured and are still getting care. The other 26 people were unharmed when they were rescued. Twenty people have been arrested so far, and security authorities are undertaking investigations to figure out what’s going on.

“After reviewing the reports and keeping a close eye on the situation, the government is concerned about the ongoing tensions and reported attempts by certain individuals to take the law into their own hands by threatening to attack individuals, private facilities, and public property.

“To avert further aggravation of the situation and to protect citizens’ lives and property, I have directed the implementation of a curfew on Jos North, Bassa, and Jos South Local Governments from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. beginning today, 14 August 2021.

“The curfew will be maintained pending a review by the State Security Council.

“All residents are therefore directed to follow the direction in order for security forces to preserve peace and order in the affected areas and deal with anyone attempting to create unrest by exploiting the circumstances to commit crime,” he said.

NSCIA, JNI, CAN, and NGF all advise caution.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Nigeria Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) condemned the Jos killings and warned against retaliation.

The National Security and Civilian Intelligence Agency (NSCIA), which is directed by Sultan of Sokoto Saad Abubakar, has also asked for calm and understanding.

 

“…the Council urges security services to apprehend the perpetrators of the heinous acts and guarantee that proper justice is served,” The Director of Administration at the NSCIA

In a statement, Zubairu Usman-Ugwu said.

 

In addition, the statement denounced the Saturday slaughter of a group of innocent Muslims returning from Bauchi to Akure, Ondo State.

 

“While reiterating the remarks of their Excellencies, the Governors of Plateau and Ondo States that it was a matter of mistaken identity and not targeted specifically at Muslims, the Council urges all Muslims to remain calm and refrain from taking laws into their own hands. The Council reiterates that no human life deserves to be squandered on religious or ethnic grounds.

 

“The Council is keeping an eye on the investigation and will see to it that justice is served.

 

“O you who have believed!” exclaims the Islamic injunction. If some transgressors bring you news that requires action, verify it carefully (before believing and acting on it), lest you harm a people in ignorance and later regret what you have done” (Qur’an 49:6), we reassure all peace-loving individuals and groups that appropriate actions will be taken following a thorough investigation.

 

“In the interim, as attempts are made to identify the eight missing Muslims, the Council urges security agencies to apprehend all those responsible for the heinous acts and ensure that proper justice is served.

 

“The Council expresses its condolences to all Muslims, especially Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, the host of the religious gathering from which the victims were returning,” the statement stated.

JNI reports on a planned pogrom that resulted in the death of tens of thousands of people.

In a separate statement, the Jama’atu Nasril Islam condemned the killings, calling them a “deliberately planned pogrom,” and demanding the government to uncover and arrest the perpetrators.

The JNI described the killings as bestial and brutal in a statement issued Sunday by Secretary-General Dr. Khalid Abubakar Aliyu, emphasizing that it was not a case of mistaken identity but rather a well-planned massacre by the attackers for whatever cause.

“The awful Rukuba Road catastrophe, which culminated in the slaughter of over 22 innocent, defenseless Muslims returning from Bauchi state to Ikare, Ondo state, en route Jos, was received with extreme anguish by JNI. This conduct is the pinnacle of heinousness and savagery. We are pleading with the federal and Plateau state governments to guarantee that the culprits of this horrific atrocity be apprehended and prosecuted as soon as possible

“We are convinced that this unjustified onslaught on these defenseless Muslims was a well-planned pogrom. It’s particularly terrible that men in positions of authority will refer to this heinous act as a mistaken identity; does this not imply that ethnic or religious profiling is now the norm? No life is worth taking in the manner prescribed.

“The Muslim community remembers with fondness Major General Idris M. Alkali’s untimely assassination by the Du community, who ditched his vehicle in a pond and put his body into a ditch. The fact that the perpetrators apprehended have not been brought to justice is heartbreaking.

“We would want to emphasize that, no matter how long it takes, anarchy and disorder will invariably become the exclusive province of those impacted as long as the government and its authorities continue to approach major security concerns with levity. It should be remembered that the late General distinguished himself as a superb gentleman while serving the Nigerian Army for 35 years. The offenders have yet to be brought to justice.

 

“What more do we expect from regular unarmed individuals who were slain in cold blood, according to the PPRO, Plateau State Command, but the numbers might be far higher because no one is talking about the critically injured? Nonetheless, we anticipate a clear and firm response. We do, however, urge Ondo state’s Ikare Muslim community to remain peaceful.

 

“The JNI is well aware that Muslims from Ningi in Bauchi state were kidnapped and slaughtered in Langtang, Plateau state, a few years ago. On multiple occasions, Muslims from the states of Gombe, Adamawa, Yobe, and Borno have been kidnapped and slaughtered near Riyom. In 2008, Muslims traveling from Chad Republic to Riyom were slain.

 

“Just like any other tourist, Muslims must pass through Plateau state on their way to their various destinations. As a result, the late General Alkali was brutally assassinated just because he was a Muslim road traveler. Nobody has been brought to justice in any of these cases. It’s a well-known fact.

Get every Post-UTM, Admission, List, JAMB, WAEC, NECO, and Schools Resumption Date, Breaking News on your WhatsApp Status Now - To join, click the links below.
Join Television Nigerian Whatsapp Now
Join Television Nigerian Facebook Now
Join Television Nigerian Twitter Now
Join Television Nigerian YouTUbe Now
Previous articleWin the Anambra governorship, the PDP needs Uba and Ukachukwu – Ekwunife
Next articleLagos joins forces with a US corporation to investigate the $50 billion global solar sector

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here