The dreams of Hammed Omotosho, a secondary school leaver in Agbado, Ogun State, sadly ended after he had been electrocuted while fixing the power of a construction disconnected at the area.
Some residents of a home on Ishola Street, Absolute, Agbado Crossing participated Omotosho penultimate Saturday night to reconnect their power supply allegedly disconnected from the electricity distribution company workers serving the area.
It was gathered that there was an outage when Hammed climbed the pole but while he was in the center of the task, electricity was restored.
He was said to have got a jolt from a naked cable, dropped off-balance, crashed onto the floor and expired on the place.
A source in the area told our correspondent that the inhabitants fled in the consequent panic, adding that the incident was reported on the Agbado Police Division.
He was diligent and talented. He assisted people in repairing electrical problems in their homes in exchange for a token. The house he went to the Saturday night of March 27 was pumped along with the residents who desired to reconnect the power.
“There was no power before he began the relationship. But while he was at it, electricity was restored about 11 am. He had been electrocuted. Those who invited him fled home because of fear of being attacked. Policemen from Agbado branch came to eliminate his corpse.”
Sikiru, who spoke to our correspondent on the phone on Wednesday, said Omotosho did not learn electrical function, stating that he was not aware that he helped people connect the power.
He stated, “I was not at home on the day the incident happened. I learnt he went into the road to assist the occupants to reconnect their power. He had been a cobbler and a part of Man’0 War. He wanted to enrol from the Nigerian Army.
“I was amazed about it because I am not aware he climbed electric poles. He was a nice and hard-working boy. He came through for his mother and me if we did not have money. He was so passionate about joining the military.”
The Police Public Relations Officer from the state, Abimbola Oyeyemisaid the dead person’s family members were not interested in pursuing a case against people who invited Omotosho, including that the corpse was released to them for burial according to Islamic rites.
He said, “It’s true. He went to help individuals connect electricity illegally. He had been on the electric pole when power was restored. He was electrocuted. The family said they had approved his death in great faith.
“People will need to stop illegal connections. Electricity isn’t something everyone can tamper with anyway. If it were to be an official of the energy company, the company would know he was working and wouldn’t restore power at that moment. It’s unfortunate.”