Perpetrators of Owo killings will face full wrath of the law: Osinbajo

0
890

On Monday, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo promised that the perpetrators of Sunday’s attack on St Francis Catholic Church in Ondo State’s Owo Local Government Area would be apprehended and prosecuted.

Osinbajo made this statement while visiting Owo town and the Catholic Church to express his condolences to the clergy, community, and people of the state.

According to reports, gunmen opened fire during the weekly Sunday service at the Church, killing scores of worshippers, including children.

According to a statement released on Monday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, Osinbajo described the incident as a terrible tragedy and unspeakable evil perpetrated by depraved minds and terrorists.

“The President has already ordered a full-scale investigation of this crime,” he said. Those responsible will, without a doubt, be apprehended and held accountable for their actions.”

Noting the President’s statement condemning the heinous act, Osinbajo added, “this barbaric act must be condemned by all, but more importantly, we must find the perpetrators, punish them, and set an example.”

Read Also: Party Primaries: Court of Appeal denies statutory delegates the right to vote

“Anyone who goes into a place where there are children and elderly people and shoots them or throws explosives at them cannot be described as human.”
The vice president expressed condolences to the traditional ruler, the entire community, and the people of the state, and stated that the Federal Government, through security agencies, will ensure that the perpetrators are found and justice is served.

“This is the pledge that the Federal Government has made through security agencies, that the perpetrators are apprehended and that we are able to determine exactly what led to this situation in Owo, which, as you said, is a peaceful community not known for excessive behaviour.” We need to look into this thoroughly to determine the exact situation.

“You can be certain of the Federal Government’s determination to ensure that we not only support the efforts of the state government in every way possible, but that this act of terrorism is punished.” But, more importantly, to ensure that we are able to protect the citizens of this state, as well as the citizens of all states in Nigeria, in the future,” he said.

Despite the gravity of the situation and the loss of their loved ones, the vice president praised the priest and the church’s congregation for their courage and tenacity in dealing with it.

He also paid visits to those who had been injured at St. Louis Catholic Hospital in town. He also paid a visit to the palace of the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye III, with Governor Akeredolu, saying he was there on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari, who had sent his condolences.

Laolu stated that the video footage circulated online was from an accident scene where he had stopped to lend assistance on his way to the airport en route to Ondo State, dispelling the notion that the vice president’s convoy was involved in an auto crash.

“He then stopped to assist the victim, and the convoy’s security and medical teams assisted in removing the victim from the crash, as the car had somersaulted and become stuck on a tree.”

“Prof. Osinbajo then ensured that the injured were transported to the Airforce Base Hospital before proceeding on his journey to Ondo State,” according to the statement.

On Monday afternoon, the vice president returned to Abuja.

Get every Post-UTM, Admission, List, JAMB, WAEC, NECO, and Schools Resumption Date, Breaking News on your WhatsApp Status Now - To join, click the links below.
Join Television Nigerian Whatsapp Now
Join Television Nigerian Facebook Now
Join Television Nigerian Twitter Now
Join Television Nigerian YouTUbe Now

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here